The Gateway School employs a full-time Registered Nurse who is also a NJ Certified School Nurse. The nurse has many years of experience in child/adolescent/young adult health. The nurse’s overall role is to monitor, evaluate and address the overall physical and emotional health of all the students. This includes:
- Providing first aid and nursing care as needed.
- Monitor the overall safely and well-being of all the students, and the staff as needed.
- Health screenings are done annually at the time of the student’s IEP meeting.
- Administering any medications the student might need while at school. This can include daily medication or emergency medications.
- The nurse is prepared to address a multitude of issues a student may have; i.e. asthma, seizures, diabetes, nutrition concerns, or social/emotional concerns.
- Working cooperatively with the students’ personal health care providers if necessary.
- Jointly supporting the families who are monitored by our Rutgers- UBHC Team.
- Providing information and education to the families.
- Providing students with Family Life Education on a cognitive, age, and emotionally appropriate level.
- Attending school trips as requested by administration.
- Work along with the physical education teacher, the social worker, and the staff to provide a safe, nurturing environment for all the students.
- The school follows the new state regulations for on-site AED’s (automated defibrillators.)
- Several staff are trained in CPR and AED use.
- Several staff member are trained in the use of Epinephrine for those students with potential allergic reactions.
- The nurse provides training for the staff in responding to asthma, seizures and emergency situations.
To provide a safe and nurturing educational environment dedicated to the vision that individuals with disabilities are entitled to a full and meaningful life.
The school seeks to empower each student with skills for life, work, and recreation, believing that every individual possesses the dignity and potential to contribute to a better world.
Request A Tour Or More Information